Saturday 12 July 2014

"SHADOW OF THE NOOSE " 1988

On 12th July 1988, I travelled to Pebble Mill Studios to travel on a BBC coach to Stoke on Trent, to be in my first day of seven in "Shadow of the Noose".
The Edwardian court-room drama series, made by BBC and written by Richard Cooper, charted 8 true life cases by one of Britain's most successful and showman-like barristers, Edward Marshall-Hall.
I was in the first four episodes playing the part of the Court Bailiff and needed to travel to the BBC studios at Pebble Mill, Birmingham to get the BBC coach for crew and supporting artistes which took us to Burslem,
Stoke on Trent, where a replica of the Old Bailey had been constructed inside the Royal Theatre.
The main role was Jonathan Hyde who played the part of Edward Marshall-Hall and when we had all been to the make-up department, I was given side whiskers and a moustache, we began filming and the actors were so convincing in their characters that the atmosphere was such that I could imagine that we were really in the Old Bailey, all those years ago in Edwardian times - scary, but a great experience.
As I was needed for 7 consecutive days filming, I had booked into theatrical lodgings on the edge of Birmingham, to save me the 150 mile round trips and reduce the travel time caused by  the early morning starts and late finishes plus the minimal sleep time that would have been encountered.


No comments:

Post a Comment