Saturday 5 April 2014

" NICE WORK " 1989 - BBC TV mini-series

On 5th April 1989, I arrived at a factory site in Great Bridge, Birmingham to be in my first scenes of a BBC Television series called " Nice Work ". My call time on this first day was 8.30 pm and e filmed through the night until 6.15am the next morning.
The following day I arrived for a call time of 1.45am and the scene was completed by 3.15 am.
This scene that took two nights to film involved me as one of 5 company directors in a board meeting.
I had been made up to Walk -on One and was in a smoke filled boardroom with Warren Clarke, Hadyn Gwynne and John Forgeham and others.
The First Assistant Director was William Hartley, and whenever I have met him since he still recalls that smoke filled room scene.
My third day was from 7.45 am to 3.15 pm and was still continuity for this first scene, and my fourth day was from 8 am until 6.45pm  at which point the scene was completed.
On my fifth, and final day , I was filmed in a dream sequence with nymphs, which was shot on the campus of Birmingham University in Edgbaston. The call time was 8 am. and we were wrapped at 7pm having completed 5 very enjoyable days and learning a lot about certain parts of acting from some of the main cast.

The " Nice Work ", was a 4 episode BBC Television mini-series based on a novel written by David Lodge and starred Hadyn Gwynne as Dr. Robyn Penrose who is a lecturer in English at Rummidge University. Vic Wilson, played by Warren Clarke, is the Managing Director of Pringles, an engineering firm in Rummidge.
They meet when Robyn is told by her Head of Department to " shadow " Vic as part of Industry Year.
They are initially hostile to each other but gradually come to understand each other's point of view.

The series was repeated on BBC about a year later, and because I had been " made up " to Walk on One,
I received extra repeat fees for my role in the series. A very worthwhile and rewarding 5 days/nights in Birmingham 25 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment