Wednesday 9 April 2014

" VANITY FAIR " 1998 and previously 1987

On 9th April 1998, I arrived at St. Paul's Walden Bury, Near Hitchin, Hertfordshire, for my third day at this location for an episode of  " Vanity Fair ".
St. Paul's Walden Bury is famous for being the birthplace and childhood home of Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother , her family , the Bowes Lyons still live there as they have since 1725.
My first and second days had been at the same location over the previous two days and I was to be involved in a further 3 days of filming " Vanity Fair " on 13th May in Islington, North London, 27th May at Gloucester Docks, a night shoot and my 6th day in Alcester, Warwickshire.
This 1998 version was a TV mini series and starred Natasha Little as Becky Sharpe, Frances Grey as Amelia Sedley, Philip Glenister as William Dobbin, Nathaniel Parker as Rawdon Crawley and Michele Dotrice as Mrs. Smedley.
I had also been in three days of filming around the grounds of Norwich Cathedral for the 1987 version of
 " Vanity Fair ", a 16 episode series of 30 minutes each.
This earlier version had starred Eve Matheson as Becky, Rebecca Saire as Amelia, Simon Dormandy as William, Jack Klaff as Rawdon and a superb performance by Freddie Jones as Sir Pitt Crawley.
I still vividly recall Freddie acting in a scene that I was in which involved him opening the door of his house and having a confrontation with another character. It was a brilliant shakespearian performance from him and I still think about that scene in Norwich every time I appear in scenes with him when I am working in " Emmerdale ", where Freddie is currently playing the part of Sandy, the father of Ashley the former vicar.

No comments:

Post a Comment