Friday 21 March 2014

" A LANDING ON THE SUN " 1994 - " CIVVIES " 1992 - plus 3 other shows

The date 20th March has been one of the busiest over the past 20 years. Yesterday I was in Leeds once more to be in another couple of episodes of  " Emmerdale ", but on this same date in 1994, I was in the Foreign Office in Westminster ( it was a Sunday ) playing the role of a Civil Servant in  a Screen 2 Television play " A Landing on the Sun ". We were issued special passes to enable to be inside the building - an unusual feeling being in the corridors of power.
The story was about a civil servant, called Jessell, in the Cabinet Office, is asked to investigate the mysterious death of the civil servant Steven Summerchild 20 years earlier. Summerchild was working on a Cabinet project under the Oxford philosophy don Elizabeth Serafin, to find the 'quality of life' in Britain.
Jessel finds a box of audio tapes from the project containing all the discussions up to the time Summerchild fell off the Admiralty building.
It starred Robert Glenister, Susan Fleetwood and Roger Allam and was screened on 8th June 1994.
6 years previously on this same date, I had been in Nottingham to be in episode 5 of Series 1 of " Tales of Sherwood Forest ".
The episode was called " Stag Night " and the scene that I was in was at a Dinner where a new member was being brought into a Fraternal group.
The story revolved around Eric, the owner of a nightclub in Nottingham, who is obsessed by the film "Casablanca" and dreams of being Rick Blaine.
It starred Pete Postlethwaite as Eric, and David Troughton and Robin Soans. I was to meet Pete Postlethwaite at a later date when I was in a series called " The Sins " plus I had also been in a scene with him in the splendid film " Brassed Off ".
Also 4 years later in 1992, I was in the Ely district of Cardiff to be in a TV series called " Civvies ".
" Civvies " was about a group of former soldiers in Britain's elite Parachute Regiment who struggle to come to terms with civilian life after leaving the army. It starred Jason Isaacs, Lennie James, Peter O'Toole and Peter Howitt ( from 'Bread').
The scene that I was in was about a supermarket being blown up and I was playing the role of the Fire Chief and Peter Howitt was one of the firemen. The film was shot in the early hours of the morning in a  district of Cardiff called Ely.
Again on this same date in 1995, I was in Redditch to be in my first episode of  " Dangerfield " starring Nigel le Vaillant. Between 20th March 1995 and 5th August 1999 I appeared in 11 episodes of " Dangerfield ".
Yesterday I was on location in the 'village' for my 96th episode of " Emmerdale ".
I had left home at 4.20 am and arrived at the studio at 7.10.am, we were wrapped at 4.20 pm. and my journey home was hampered by the great volume of traffic and many miles of reduced speed restrictions on the M1 motorway, high winds and heavy rain. I eventually arrived back home at 8.10pm.- a 16 hour day.

No comments:

Post a Comment