Wednesday 15 January 2014

" DALZIEL & PASCOE " 1998 - " CASUALTY " 1996 - " CROSSROADS " 2001

On 15th January 1998, I was in Lichfield Cathedral to be in an episode of " Dalziel & Pascoe " starring Warren Clarke & Colin Buchanan.
The 1st Assistant Director was William Hartley, who I had worked with on quite a few other programmes  up to this point.
The episode was about a passion play being performed in the Cathedral and Warren Clarke was playing the part of God. I was supposed to be Herod and dressed in similar white robes.
This was my first day of three consecutive days and therefore I stayed overnight in the outskirts of Birmingham. Towards the end of one of the days following many hours of filming, the Director called for a scene to be shot where one of the cast jumps from the roof of the Cathedral and commits suicide. This required Warren Clarke to be in shot, standing on a "cherry-picker " as the character falls past him onto the floor. Warren had returned to his hotel for the night, and because I was dressed similar to him, William Hartley asked me o go in the "cherry- picker " and stand in for the actor. \the shot would only show me from the neck down and I was sent up on this open cage "cherry- picker, to near the top of the cathedral.
A stunt man, dressed as a woman, jumped from above me onto cardboard and mattresses below as I held onto the rail of the crane.
I heard someone shout " God " and thought that the shot had gone wrong, but when I realised that I was supposed to be Warren , playing the part of God, I then understood that he meant me.
" When we do this shot again, can you hold your arms out like a priest " was the direction, and on the second take, the stunt man dropped past me as I held my arms out and was quite concerned trying to keep my balance on this wobbling crane.
I was quite relieved when I was brought back to ground level and immediately asked to be made up to "Walk On 2 ", but William agreed to give me " Special Skills " for agreeing to being sent up on the " cherry-picker ".
Two years earlier, on this same day, I was in Bristol for the first day of a two day shoot for " Casualty ".
My second day was a week later and therefore was required to look and dress exactly the same as this previous week, for continuity purposes. This first day in 1996, was my 25th day of involvement in
 " Casualty " and, during that year, I returned to be in 5 more episodes.
On 15th January 2001, I arrived at the Central Studios in Lenton Lane, Nottingham, to be in an episode of
 " Crossroads ". The production team had moved from Birmingham to Nottingham after Central TV brought back " Crossroads for a second series.
In 2001 I was in 4 episodes and on 23rd January 2002, I was in my final episode following my first one l  in 1985. A total of 15 episodes, 7 in Birmingham and 8 in Nottingham.

No comments:

Post a Comment