Tuesday 24 September 2013

"LOVEJOY" 1985 - " CROSSROADS" 1987

The 24th September is my Birthday and I have only worked on two programmes on this day in 28 years.
1985 and I was in Debenham, Suffolk, about 20 miles north of Ipswich, to be in my 3rd episode of "Lovejoy", the series about a dodgy antiques dealer starring Ian McShane as Lovejoy.
My first episode on this series had been on 22nd May 1985, which was only my second experience of being on a Television series.
Two months later in July 1985, I had gone to Birmingham to have an interview with the Casting Agent for "Crossroads", Barbara Plant. I had taken a publicity photograph of myself as a "pop singer" and had arrived wearing a smart suit. I found the interview quite an experience and became very optimistic about the outcome until she asked if I had brought a photo. When I showed her the photo of me in a stage suit, she said "Have you got one with yourself just looking casual ? This one is not really acceptable." My heart sank and I thought that this interview was going to be a failure. I then told her that I had already been involved in a training film for "Kodak" employees, an episode of "Marjorie and Men" for Anglia TV and an episode of "Lovejoy". "That's more experience than a lot of people I interview", she replied. "Are you free next Thursday, for an episode of "Crossroads"?. I immediately said "Yes" and she then asked me to arrive at the ATV studios in Birmingham by 8.30am the following week.
Thursday 11th July 1985 was my first involvement with "Crossroads" and from that date in 1985, Barbara booked me for 7 episodes of " Crossroads" before that first series came to an end, but also booked me for 14 episodes of "Boon" , and 2 episodes of "Chancer" starring Clive Owen.
I have never worked on my Birthday since that day in 1987 ( 26 years ago).

No comments:

Post a Comment