Friday 6 September 2013

"NO BANANAS" 1995 :"THE CHOIR" 1994

On the 7th September 1995, I drove down to Tonbridge Wells in Kent to be in an episode of "No Bananas", a wartime mini-series starring Alison Steadman,Stephanie Beacham, Michael Elwyn and Rachel Power.
It was a round trip of 257 miles taking me through the Dartford tunnel en route both ways. It was another long day that had begun at 3.30 am and ended on my return later the same day. My added consolation was that, because it was a war-time drama, I was paid an extra fee for having my hair cut in a short back and sides fashion.
On 7th September 1994, one year earlier, I had driven to Gloucester to be in a mini-series called " The Choir", written by  Joanna Trollope. I arrived at the location which was Gloucester Cathedral for a scene that involved many of the principal actors including James Fox, Peter Vaughan and David Warner.
Our scene was inside the Cathedral which filmed a large procession of clergy and a very dramatic sermon from the James Fox character. The local newspaper had printed an article informing the local residents that this scene was being filmed in Gloucester and inviting them to participate if they wished.
Our relaxation area was on a Double Decker bus parked outside in Archdeacon Street which was also being used by the administration assistant. My journey home was via Cheltenham, Banbury and Northampton which took 3 hours on that 200 mile round trip with the added awareness that I would need to make the trip again in mid October for another scene in the Cathedral.

No comments:

Post a Comment