Thursday 31 October 2013

" THE CHIEF" 1991 - " DRIVE" 2003

On 31st October 1991, I was at the Newmarket Racecourse for an episode of " The Chief". The scene was based around  a day at the race meeting. The main character, Chief Constable Alan Cade was played by Martin Shaw. A few months earlier that year I had played the part of Alfie Rose, a "bookie",in an episode of " Trainer", at Newbury Racecourse and during the day some real bookies were asking me if I was genuine. When they realised we were filming during that race day, they persuaded me to have a bet on one of the races. I place a minimum bet of £2 on a horse being ridden by Lester Piggott. The horse won and I won about £20.
When I was at Newmarket for "The Chief", I thought I would try my luck again on this race day. The horse that I had my bet on was not in the first three and so I presumed my bet at Newbury had been beginners luck.
"The Chief" was a series from ITV focussing on the politics at the top of an English police force, in the continual battle to solve the problems of the times, in this case the fictional force was Eastland in East Anglia.
It originally starred Tim Pigott-Smith as Chief Constable John Stafford and later Martin Shaw as Chief Constable Alan Cade. It was screened from 1990 to 1995 and I was involved in 6 episodes from 1990 to 1994.

In my records for 31st October 2003, I appear to have been in Birmingham for a programme called " Drive". There seems to be no record of  "Drive" on any TV archive material.

No comments:

Post a Comment