Wednesday 9 October 2013

" VALENTINE PARK" 1987

On the 8th October 1987, I was booked to be on a Central TV programme , filmed at Lenton Lane Studios in Nottingham, called "Valentine Park". I was due to be there for 7.30am that morning and had started out to travel from home to Nottingham via Melton Mowbray. I had passed the town of Melton and was nearing the outskirts of Nottingham, when I was hit by another car coming that drove straight over the crossroads without stopping. I had to be rescued through the side window and was taken back to Melton Mowbray.
After being treated for shock I called my agent and told him the circumstances. He advised me to hire a taxi to the studios, who he subsequently notified, and I eventually arrived late at the Studios.
I was ushered into my own dressing room and looked after very well by the staff, who seemed very concerned about my accident.
That episode of " Valentine Park" was a live broadcast, with a studio audience. I had missed the morning rehearsals but was called into the studio for the final run through before the doors were opened for the audience. A comedian then kept the audience amused until almost transmission time. The programme was screened live later that evening and seemed to be well received by the live audience.
That series, Series 2, revolved around the Head Gardener, Tom, (played by Ken Jones) who worked in a large Public Park, loves his job and is proud of his blooms, especially his marigolds. Also working in the Park is Max ( David Thewlis), Bodie ( Danny Peacock) and Doyle ( Bernard Patton). Max rents a room in a house owned by mad landlady Mrs. Giles (played by the wonderful Liz Smith).
The programme ran for only two Series between1987 and 1998.
At the end of the show I was informed that my car was a write off, but my Wife and Son-in-in Law came to  the Studio to gave me a lift home.

No comments:

Post a Comment