Sunday 4 August 2013

DANGERFIELD

The date is 5th August 1999 and I have arrived  in Edgbaston to be part of episode 61 of "Dangerfield", starring Nigel le Vaillant who I first met when I was involved in episodes of "Casualty".
I had received a phone call from 1st Assistant Director William Hartley, who I first met when I worked with him on "Nice Work" in 1989 and later on "Dalziel & Pascoe" from 1995 to 1998, both starring Warren Clarke. William asked me if I could operate a sit-on mower for a scene in the episode. I said that I was available on the day and capable of operating the machine.
As I had never driven a sit-on mower, I arranged to have a practice on one that was owned by my wife's uncle who lived only a few miles away.It was a modern one and I did not take long to master the controls of the machine.
When I was taken  to the location in Edgbaston, I discovered that I was the only one in front of the camera.
Then I was introduced to the mower. It was very basic, very old, creaky and heavy to handle.
I was told to give it a test run to the end of the field and back so that they could see that I was capable of driving it. On my return William said "Would you like to do that again? but this time don't look so scared".
I tried to look more confident and the Director seem to be pleased.
My character was supposed to be mowing the grass and notice that a shed door had been broken, I switch off the engine and walked to the shed , opening the door, and discovering a stolen vehicle that the police are looking for. I was asked to do it three times until the Director was happy with the shot.
The moral of this story is that, if you do not possess the required "Special Skills" make sure that you try to obtain some expertise to qualify you to be worthy of that extra payment.
The previous time I was on my 6th episode of "Dangerfield", I played the part of a Special Protection Officer for a Member of Parliament. The M.P. was played by Nigel Havers. Although all these details are being taken from my personal records since 1985, all that I can remember from this day is that the location was at
Tanworth-in-Arden in Warwickshire, which was earlier used for the exterior scenes of "Crossroads" in the 1980's. It is the only time that I have been in the company of Nigel Havers who I found to be a very polite and friendly gentleman.
Tomorrow is likely to be a very short piece where I recall 6th August 1995 when I went to Birmingham to be in an episode of a police drama called "Back-up". I will probably put two days together the following day and mention 7th August 1991, when I was involved in an episode of "Poirot" being filmed at Battersea Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment