Thursday 29 August 2013

"OLD DEVILS" 1991:"DALZIEL & PASCOE" 1995:"MISSING POSTMAN" 1996

I could not report anything yesterday because I have never been involved in any Film or TV production on any 28th August since 1985.
However, on 29th August 1991, I was at Paddington Railway Station to be part of an episode of "Old Devils", a BBC mini-series of 3 episodes adapted from the Kinsley Amis novel and starring John Stride.
On 29th August 1995, I was again in Birmingham to be in my first episode of "Dalziel & Pascoe". My second day of involvement was to be 3 months later on November 5th when I travelled to Huntingdon, all future episodes were then filmed in and around Birmingham.
On 29th August 1996, I had travelled down to Wareham in Dorset to be in an episode of "The Missing Postman", a TV movie starring James Bolam as the postman and also featuring Alison Steadman, Jim Carter( Carson from Downton Abbey) and Larry Lamb. The story was about a postman who was about to be made redundant so on his last delivery he travelled throughout the entire country delivering all the letters by hand.
During my involvement in filming "Old Devils", "The Missing Postman" and "House of Elliott", I was in the company of a very nice older couple and the lady had asked me several questions over those previous days of filming."What was the overtime rate?""How much do you get for Special skills?"How much do you get for a shorthaircut?" etc. At one point I asked her how she became involved with Show Business and she told me that her father had been a Comedian. I said that my father also had been a professional comedy tap-dancer with the "Lynton Boys" in the 1940's, so who was her father. She said  Arthur Askey and  I replied then you must be Anthea Askey? she said yes and my husband is Will Fyfe Junior.
It was a privilege and a pleasure to be in their company over those weeks of filming and the reason Anthea had asked me about the different payments was because her involvement with her father had previously been on the Radio - not Television.
There are many other people employed as Supporting Artistes on Film & Television who have been famous in one way or another and it is interesting to talk to them to hear their fascinating stories of earlier days in the limelight of Show Business.

No comments:

Post a Comment