Thursday 8 August 2013

" HOUSE OF ELLIOTT" 1992 and " OUTSIDE EDGE" 1993

On 9th August 1992, I arrived in Bristol to appear in my 6th episode of " House of Elliott", I had been involved in the filming of 3 episodes in 1991, 6 in 1992 and finally 2 in 1993.
There were 3 series made of the programme about 2 sisters who ran an haute couture fashion house in the 1920's. The two sisters were played by Stella Gonet and Louise Lombard.
The episode I recall most vividly was in series 2 and filmed in Bristol where I was engaged to play the part of a Billiards Referee in a game between Jack Maddox ( played by Aden Gillet ) and an American film producer as they discussed a future filming project whilst they were playing a game of billiards.
I had arrived at a location in a street near to the Bristol Zoo at 7.am. and been fitted with my costume - Dress shirt, Dress trousers, Silver encrusted white waistcoat, white box and white gloves. I then approached the catering wagon and  asked for a sausage and egg roll to which I added some tomato ketchup.
I took one bite and the tomato ketchup dripped onto my waistcoat, I took my handkerchief out of my pocket to wipe away the ketchup and,to my horror, realised that I had used one of my white gloves.
I returned to the wardrobe van and explained what had happened. The assistant then cleaned the waistcoat with a "wet-wipe" and told me to stay outside until it had dried. I then pulled the stained glove from my pocket and said " What about this?". The assistant was definitely not happy and I will not repeat his reply.
He did supply me with another pair of white gloves.

The following year on 9th August 1993, I arrived at the Central studios in Lenton Lane Nottingham for my 1st day of 5 in an episode of " Outside Edge".
We were taken to a cricket ground in the village of Thrumpton overlooked by the power station near the River Trent.
We were part of a cricket team which included Timothy Spall, Robert Daws and Denis Lill and the spectators included Josie Lawrence and Brenda Blethyn.
I played the part of an Umpire and only had one word of dialogue - "Over".
I was told to deliver the word and remain in position as the credits rolled over a shot of me standing behind the wicket.
I have a copy of the video in my collection but have not watched it for a few years.
It was a privilege to be in the company of some excellent actors and I learned a great deal during the filming over those 5 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment