Friday 23 August 2013

" SHELL PETROL ADVERT" 1988 - "PRESTON FRONT" 1994

On the 24th  August 1988, I arrived at the side of Ladybower Dam in Derbyshire, the area where the  famous Dam Busters squadron did their low-level training for their mission to blow up the German Dams in the Second World War.
A group of us had assembled there to be part of an advert for Shell petrol which featured the Ford Racing Car team and we were the spectators.
This was our first day of two and at the opening of the advert, I can be seen, with my son Chris, walking away from the camera looking at these stationary cars before the event.
At the end of that day's filming we were all in a group and the Director asked who was able to return to the location for a second day. Most of us raised our hands and as we were picked out we had to shout out our names for the casting list. One very successful Supporting Artiste, Roger Bill was with his wife and the Director said " What is her name ? " Roger was a very humorous man and replied " Mo Bill " which raised a huge laugh from most of us because the name of a rival petrol to Shell in those days was Mobil.

On the 24th August 1994 I arrived at a location near to Stafford to be in a programme called " All quiet on the Preston Front" starring Colin Buchanan who went on to play Pascoe in "Dalziel and Pascoe" with Warren Clarke.
One of our number was a little bit late for the call time to managed to get to the location before we started filming the scenes. I will not name him  but those of you who read this and were in that programme will remember him with fondness because he was always frieindly and polite and you will know who I mean when I say that his excuse for being late was because " I didn't see any unit signs on the M6 ! ".
All I can remember about that episode, which was a comedy, was that a scene that we observed being filmed  involved an outside toilet exploding and a character emerging with smoke covered face and  ripped clothing.
That was the first day of two that I spent on that series which I really enjoyed being a part of.

No comments:

Post a Comment